The Change of Rulers – Toompea Castle & Pikk Hermann Tower
Toompea Castle History
Toompea Castle is situated on the limestone hill of Toompea in the middle of Tallinn and is a wonderful vantage point from which to view the rest of the Estonian capital.
During the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries, the city of Tallinn was known as Toompea as this was the time of Danish power in Estonia and the castle’s name is derived from Taani loss meaning “The Danish Castle”. Danish crusaders took over the site in 1219, at which point a wooden castle was most likely present on the site of what became Toompea hill.
*This area was probably one of the first parts of Tallinn to be inhabited, offering as it did an advantageous vantage point for citizens to spot their enemies approaching.
Unusual Mix of Architecture Style
The Toompea Castle that stands on the site today has gone through many rebuilds during its time, with the pink baroque-style architecture of one side reminiscent of the tastes of Catherine the Great.
In contrast, the other side of Toompea Castle looks positively medieval, making it a surprise for many who approach the castle from one angle only to find it appears vastly different from another viewpoint.
*While looking from behind, the ruin remains for Toompea Castle still can be seen everywhere, in a brick copper colour of course!
The Tall Hermann Tower
From the Governor’s Garden at the castle’s southern edge, the 46-metre Pikk Hermann tower comes into view.
The tower is a vital national symbol: tradition dictates that whichever nation flies its flag over Pikk Hermann also rules Estonia.
*Each day right before sunrise, the Estonian flag is raised above the tower to the tune of the national anthem.
Toompea Castle Visit Information
Address: Lossi Plats 1a, Old Town, Tallinn.
Contact: Not Available
Open Hours: 10.00 am – 05.00 pm (Mon-Sun)